Welding Letters Tutorial

Just a few days ago I posted a die cut on my Instagram feed which was cut out using my Silhouette Cameo and some people asked how do I weld the letters and what kind of fonts I used.

Some of you who own a Cameo or even Portrait may well be familiar with the welding tool but in case you don’t, I’ll be sharing a simple step-by-step tutorial for those who wants to learn the use of the weld tool. I learned this from watching video tut from YouTube, so in case you want to watch video to help you understand better, you can pop over and search tons of great tuts.

My tutorial is going to be lengthy with lots of print screen images to show you each step of welding letters. So, grab a cup of coffee to help you stay awake!;)

Before you start, you need to download the fonts that I used for cutting the words above the picture shown.

For the word “hello”, I used Lavanderia which you can download from here. For this font, you need to pay a minimum sum of at least $5 to download it. I paid for mine because I like the font very much and I use it very often.

And for the word “MARCH“, I used NeoRetroDraw, which is free for download here.

So, once you’ve downloaded the fonts, or you decide to use any available fonts in your Silhouette Studio, we’re ready to start!

Here’s how the welded letters of my cut looks like in Silhouette Studio.

So, we’re going to start off by opening a new blank canvas/file.

Next step would be to add text to the canvas. Select Lavanderia Sturdy font for the word “hello” in lower case in desired text size (You can resize this later). Keep the character spacing at 100% as it is. The letters are overlapping each other nicely to weld together later.

Next, create the text “January” in upper case letters on a separate space using NewRetroDraw Bold font.

To reduce the character spacing between each letter so that they overlap each other for welding, slide it to the left or the down arrow to reduce the % of the space.

Please take note that if you reduce the character spacing too much, the letters will be cramped together too tightly and the end result of the welding will not look too nice.

If you notice, the letter “J” is still separated from the letter “A” unlike the rest of the letters that are overlapping each other. We’ll come back to that later on how to overlap them together manually.

Move the “January” word closer to the “hello” word so that they’re overlapping each other slightly. Adjust to your desired position.

Then, hold the “shift” key down and use your mouse to select both words to select/highlight them together.

Next, click on the weld tool at the bottom of the tool bar to weld both words into one shape.

Now you can see both words are welded except for the letter “J”.

Click on the letter “J” and move it manually to overlap slightly with the letter “A”.

Select/highlight both welded word shape and letter “J” and select weld tool from the tool bar at the bottom to make the complete welding into one shape.

There, can you see the picture below that both words are now welded into one shape? I hope you’re still with me.:D

Now, I like to remove some of the editing points along the trace line or within it. Some of them are too tiny to be included in the cutting or some you would just like to remove just to make the welded shape looks better. OK, maybe I’m just too OCD about it but if it’s bothering me or their not being “useful” then why not remove them right? *laugh*

So, double click on the welded shape/text and you’ll see many points appear on the text/shape.

Click your mouse on the point that you want to remove like I circled it (the tiny box will turn from grey to white on the inside) and then click your mouse on the “Delete Point” on the Point Editing option on the right side bar. Keep deleting the points until it completely remove the points you want to get rid off.

Remember when to stop or you’ll accidentally delete part of the trace line of the shape as well.

Once you’re happy deleting the editing points, just click your mouse on any empty space outside the shape and you’re done!

You’re now ready to cut the word/shape and use them on your projects!:)

I hope this tutorial is easy to follow.

For those of you who would like them ready made, or you’re just too busy to try them out, I’ve made them all in 12 months. So you can download them HERE for free. The files are in Silhouette Studio format, all 12 months’ cuts are in there. You can resize or do whatever you want with them. Not necessary to credit me.:)

Have a great week ahead!:D

Lotsa love – Leena

Melissa WhittakerMarch 5, 2013 - 11:51 am

Thanks for sharing these cut files! So nice of you :) I love them :)

VeraMarch 5, 2013 - 12:38 pm

I am seriously considering purchasing a Silhouette, either a Cameo or a portrait. I am wondering though if there will be other supplies that I will need to keep buying from the Silhouette store once I get to use it? Or is everything included if I just want to cut on paper or stickers? I don’t want to have to pay for shipping and waiting a long time everytime i need something…

Yeong ShongMarch 5, 2013 - 4:01 pm

thank you for sharing…..what’s the size that you normally cut this in?

Jannie LytzenMarch 5, 2013 - 5:16 pm

Im new to this, and I have really wanted to try this – You made the perfect tut for me.. Im danish, so not always easy with all of the english tuts ;)

TaraMarch 5, 2013 - 6:52 pm

This was an awesome tutorial, thanks!!! I’ve just started playing with text on mine after a month of having it. I didn’t realize you could delete the points. Thanks so much!!

FindingnanaMarch 5, 2013 - 8:33 pm

Hi Vera,
Once you purchase a Cameo or Portrait, the cutting mat and blade is included. But over the time, you need to change the blade and mat, depending on your usage. The rest of the supplies such as papers, you can use whatever you have. For stickers, you need to purchase separately because it doesn’t come with the machine. For all the digital cut files, you only need to purchase from http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com and any online shops that sell digital files that can be used to print and cut. Hope this helps. :)
xoxo,
Leena

FindingnanaMarch 5, 2013 - 8:35 pm

Hi Rebecca,
The cut size depends on which project I want to use them on. If it’s for Project life, then I’ll just cut them to fit the 3×4 and 4×6 cards. :)
xoxo,
Leena

SusanMarch 5, 2013 - 9:40 pm

Thanks for sharing the tutorial and the cut files. I love welding….so easy to do with the Silhouette! I just started Project Life this year and am having a blast with it. Your pages are such fun!

BerniceMarch 6, 2013 - 6:16 pm

Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial. I’ve been struggling to use my Cameo ever since I got it quite a few months ago just because it’s seems so daunting. I love your step by step pictures and trouble shooting :) Thanks for sharing!

rkokesMarch 6, 2013 - 11:39 pm

thanks for the files!

Julie WeisMarch 8, 2013 - 3:42 pm

thank you so much for the tutorial and the downloads! i can’t wait to try it myself.

Sara BerryMarch 8, 2013 - 9:59 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share this! I’m looking forward to my new Portrait and have been searching for tutorials–it’s a little overwhelming at first but you have broken it down so well! Thanks, S

Linda in AuaMarch 11, 2013 - 7:05 pm

Hi Leena,
i read this post and downloaded the months and i have just realise that i never said thanks, so thanks for the tutorial and the download.
xx

LoritaMarch 18, 2013 - 3:38 am

Thank you for the hello months. I just got a Silhouette Cameo and I am lovin’ it. Thank you for the tutorials, too. I love your website. Thanks again.

Melissa (mollymoo951)March 23, 2013 - 1:55 am

Thank you for the tutorial & for sharing your cuts!

MarilynApril 15, 2013 - 8:38 am

Thank you so much for the files. :)

KellyOctober 11, 2013 - 3:24 am

Thank you so much for this! I just got my Cameo and have been trying to figure out how to make it work for me. Your instructions are so easy, I have great results. :)

MaryOctober 28, 2013 - 8:39 am

I a little confused on the edit points. Which points do you want to remove?

FindingnanaOctober 28, 2013 - 10:11 am

Hi Mary,
The point is just a small dot above the letter A.
Leena

MaryOctober 29, 2013 - 1:02 pm

Got it. Thanks for the quick reply.

MaryOctober 30, 2013 - 3:45 am

Got it. Thank you for the quick reply.

ScrumptiousJanuary 15, 2014 - 2:12 am

This looks great, I’m looking forward to reading it more in-depth. Thank you for making a non-video tutorial, I know how time consuming they can be, and I think they’re SO much nicer because I can go back to them for reference much more easily than trying to find a particular spot in a video. Thanks!

SheriMarch 2, 2014 - 4:19 am

Is there a way to weld letters themselves? I am tying to create a stencil to use in a subway poster and I would prefer to use some fonts where the letters are not completely filled. Can I convert them somehow? Thanks, Sheri

FindingnanaMarch 3, 2014 - 12:04 pm

Hi Sheri,
I’m not exactly sure if I get your question right, the welding tool does the job of welding the letters together. I can’t think of another way.
Leena

SheaMarch 27, 2014 - 12:10 am

This is a fantastic tutorial! Very concise, and the illustrations were spot on! I had my letters welded in no time at all. Thank you so much!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *